Tuesday, December 04, 2007

My life this week..

Current favorite song: "Paralyzer" by Finger Eleven

Last movie watched: Enchanted - I don't understand how it could have a rating of 8+ in IMDB. 8.0 puts it in the league of movies like Grapes of Wrath, Gone with the wind and Snatch and its definitely not up there. The problem is that with the number of online users on the rise, the newer movies are receiving more votes and a more wide range of voters. So now on I am going to do a mental subtraction of 0.5 for any new movie rating on IMDB.

Last bad movie watched: Dus Kahaniyan - almost every story was a rip off some internet forward, so silly!

Current favorite dish: Papdi Chaat from Cool Breeze. The reason why I like this so much is that it does not contain disk shaped, fixed number of papdis. Its made of small, rectangular, uncountable papdis providing multiple crunchy bites instead of the one-papdi-at-a-time bite.

Current favorite drink: Malibu with Pineapple Juice..s'weeeeeeeet!

Current favorite TV show: Aliens in America .. its a comedy about a Pakistani guy who visits USA as an exchange student, lives with an American family and goes to high school with the family's children. I always enjoy watching American high school based movies/shows just to be able to compare my Indian high school life to theirs. And with the south Asian guy in the picture, both the perspectives are brought out well.

Currently reading.. Desirable Daughters by Bharati Mukherjee .. so far so good.. very Bong

Experience of the week: I had this long list of calls to return that had been pending for some time. And like a fool I decided to do it on the eve of my birthday... and what else do you expect! Friend - "Oh, so are you calling to remind me that its your birthday tomorrow?"
Me- "Uh oh!"
The funniest part is that I actually did that once :) This was first year of Engineering. I was new to the school, new to the city, new people, new friends. So noone, of course, knew my birthday. And that time I was young and still wanted to celebrate birthdays. So a couple of days before my birthday, when some of my new friends/classmates were standing and chatting after a lab session, I started asking everyone's birth dates. Finally my turn came and again.... everyone exclaimed "Ohh!! Now we know why you ask!!" Things we do in teenage! sigh!

Best software used/website/blog visited recently: www.elfyourself.com
Check this out http://www.elfyourself.com/?id=1162041402

One good deed of the week: Food charity for NC food drive. Emptied out all the stuff in our pantry that we hate eating but we thought we would eat to get on a healthy diet. Like granola bars and plain oat meal.

One pending to-do taken care of: Cleaning our garage!! Its not done yet, but we are getting there. And those who haven't seen our garage won't get why its a BIG deal!

What I missed most about India this week: The onset of winter... the quilts coming out of storage, lying on the terrace on a sunny afternoon in December eating oranges and reading one of the adventures of Feluda.

Obsession of the week: Playing the stock market

Discovery of the week: If the stock market was so easy to play everyone would be millionaires! But I like the excitement. A couple of days, I even checked my portfolio before checking email!

Something I noticed this week:
Diversity and networking are very important terms in corporate America.

Thoughts of the week:
Birthdays are ordinary days post 25.
Birthdays are a good time to make excuses for not doing regular things.
Birthdays are not anymore wear-your-favorite-dress to work days.
Its important to do something special on your birthday since everyone asks what you did! Indirectly the pressure is always on the partner to make it memorable.
-------------------------------------
The oiling hair myth- So growing up in India every child learns from his/her mom that oiling your hair is as important as taking a bath. Without oil you could be struck with disasters like baldness, hot headedness and what not. My mom used to say "Maatha thanda raakhe" ("It keeps your head cool"). I could not imagine not oiling my hair with coconut oil poured from Shalimar tins (and later Parachute fancy plastic blue bottles) before my daily shower except on Sundays. Because Sundays were shampoo days and wear-your-favorite-dress days. As we grew up and peer pressure of looking good came into the picture, applying oil became a weekend ritual that could take place only during the night so that it could be washed off in the morning. That way we took care of our hair as well as didn't look like a "Chipku" (sticky) (if you have watched Indian television, you will remember the chipku ad where this school girl is called Chipku since she applies oil to her hair) . When I went to hostel, the frequency of oiling hair reduced from once a week to once in two weeks due to hectic schedules and the overhead of transferring oil onto the pillows while you slept at night. Finding extra towels in hostel is not easy! Down the years the frequency declined further and now its reduced to zero! Yeah, I never oil my hair!! I can't believe it myself that I could not have lived without oil at some time. In this country people don't oil their hair. It has to be a spa treatment or something as exclusive as that to have an oil head massage. People here who have never oiled their hair have not balded or are not really hot-headed. The quality of their hair is as good as ours. I look at the blonde kids here and try to imagine how they would look with oiled hair tied in plaits :) Its funny! Wonder what will happen when I have kids... will I tell them to keep their heads cool with coconut oil. Wishful thinking.. maybe I ll just end up keeping my head cool with oil then!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I hate the smell of smoke that gets into your hair and bag and clothes when you go to a club or sit in the smoking area in a restaurant.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing can be more depressing than 80 degree F two weeks before Christmas. Why the hell should I be in this country if I can't even experience snow in winter! :(
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Organizing events here reminds me of organizing college fests in undergrad. Except then, we derived the ultimate pleasure of bunking classes and still getting attendance. Now it eats into our evening and weekend time too!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cosmopolitan is not a bad magazine after all, if you skip the sex-related articles (thats 40%) and the problems people face in their love lives sections (thats 30%) and the "where" to shop portions of whats trendy this season. Its actually a great magazine if you are single and rich and your life revolves around "Martini, Manolos and men" !
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shopping online is like being at a mall all the time :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: