Sunday, December 02, 2007

Season changes, habit changes, this and that..

Its been forever since I wrote something other than code, emails and to-do lists. Everyday I have experiences that I feel are worth giving some thought to or noting down or sharing with. But time has been moving at break-neck speed. So this is what I decided. Every week, I will fill up somewhat of a template wherein I can capture some of my thoughtographs.

Current favorite song: "Wake up call" by Maroon5
Last good movie watched: American Gangster (I like true stories) and Maqbool (Irfaan Khan rocks)
Last bad movie watched: Dhamaal .... remember to have tylenol handy! I even rated it 1/10 on IMDB to bring its rating down from 6.8
Current favorite dish: Hersheys chocolate cream pie
Current favorite drink: Starbucks' cinnamon dolce latte
Current favorite TV show: America's next top model cycle 9.
Currently reading.. Life isn't all haa haa hee hee by Meera Syal .. Would love to see it in a movie.
Experience of the week: Spending two hours shopping for stuff worth 75 bucks since I wanted to use a 30 off 75 coupon.. then stood in a queue for 20 minutes to check out. When I reached the counter they said the coupon was not valid for items on clearance. So I went back and spent another 45 minutes and shopped again while A sat and played games and browsed on his phone. This time the queue was shorter but they said it was not valid on watches. Got fed up and did not buy anything!!
Best software used/website visited recently: zoho.com. :Liked the ability to chat while editing a live document and seeing everyone's updates to the sheet simultaneously. Loved the simplicity of maintaining a database online and creating forms to submit data and receive notifications with the least effort.
One good deed of the week: Teaching how to play snakes and ladder to a 4 year old cancer patient.
One pending to-do taken care of: Cleaning the study which had accumulated snail mail for months. I don't understand why they send so much snail mail in spite of having clicked on the Go Paperless button for every bill we pay. Shredding them is another big headache! Rescheduled the mailbox emptying to once a week instead of daily.
What I missed most about India this week: No snail mail! Bad postal service has its pros too!
Discovery of the week: Nerf gun :)
Thoughts of the week:
Perennial confusion of what biweekly means. Someone insisted biweekly meant once in two weeks. In my understanding biweekly meant twice a week. This is what merriam webster says:

1bi·week·ly
Pronunciation:\(ˌ)bī-ˈwē-klē\
Function:adjective
Date:1832
1 : occurring twice a week
2
: occurring every two weeks

It means both? !!
-------------
I never was a fan of tea or coffee, as in I like drinking them once in a while but not regularly or I am not the kind who would have a headache if I didn't have my evening cuppa tea. But recently I have been enjoying the whole idea of having a conversation over a cup of tea or coffee. It gives us an excuse to sit at the breakfast table and talk about something, anything. Chai with hot pakodas watching the rain outside, or masala chai with parle-g biscuits while chatting with girl friends, walking in winter in warm coats and gloves sipping a hot cappucinno, or a mug of strong coffee while checking mail early morning.... these have given me good enough reason to get addicted!
----------------
Change of seasons is so different here than in India. In fall, leaves really fall. In winter there is snow. In spring the leaves reappear. In summer you get tanned.
In India, in fall leaves don't fall, you could fall because of the rain wet roads. In winter you can get tanned. Spring ... what spring? Summer.. the only season!
---------------
Did not buy anymore free after rebate software this year .. the ones from the past years have moved from the study to the garage! And to think that we spend time on filling out rebate forms and mailing them out on time, tch tch!
----------------
How can anyone start their blog with "Dear Diary"? Isn't the meaning of a diary lost right then?
-------------------
Why do people ask questions like "How is married life treating you?" What do they really expect to hear? Its great except I didn't know men fart/women snore too. Its awful except I get to shop with someone else's credit card. Our choices don't match and I don't like his family and we already fight but we are a perfect match. I like the part of not having to return home in the morning anymore. Its as romantic as our first date. I don't know, its just a weird question, I feel.
-------------------
Why didn't my parents enforce waking up early when I was a child? Mom should have really poured water over me instead of just threatening to do so. I always used to keep snoozing the alarm clock till a point when, if I didn't get out, I would miss the school bus. Old habits die hard! Its all their fault for not teaching me to be an early riser. Like they say, to err is human, to blame it on someone else is divine :D

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome back...the book has already been made into a movie...with Meera Sayal, Ayesha Dharker and Sanjeev Bhaskar
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437019/

Payal said...

Chaitra,

I know, I saw that... quarter way through the book I had checked IMDB :)
But I didn't find the DVD anywhere. Let me know if you find something.