Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Some book reviews

Recently I have been reviewing a lot of technical literature for the purpose of my research. So to go with the flow I thought I might as well write some reviews of non-research related stuff I read recently.
Four books: One night @ the call center, Five point someone, The Hungry Tide and The Monk who sold his Ferrari. Five Point Someone is great. Fresh, funny, simple -a story that, having gone to an engineering college in India, you can relate to. I feel I have met the characters at some point of my life. The kind of output I would expect from an IIT/IIM grad of this generation. Well done Chetan, looking forward to your next book.
One night @ the call center was a bit of a disappointment after Five Point Someone. A book you can probably read during a journey and forget about.
The Hungry Tide by Amitava Ghosh was on the other hand quite heavy...rich with social and historical details, with myriad emotions and well sketched characters. It was tale well told, a book I could recommend. This was my first of Ghosh's. Heard The Glass Palace was good too. Thats next on my list.
The Monk who sold his Ferrari was not my type at all. Not that I dont like philosophical and spiritual inspiration...I liked The Alchemist and have read enough of Richard Bach. But this did not cut it. I felt I was reading stuff I already knew.
Other than that I read all the old archies, tinkle and tintin that were lying at home in my old book cabinets. I have the habit of writing my name and the year in which I read the book on the first page right hand side corner. It was fun noticing the evolution of my handwriting!

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Try "Calcutta Chromosome" instead of "The Glass Palace"... its much better

Anonymous said...

Here are some of my favoriate songs: Do You Remember - By Jay Sean, Bulletproof - By La Roux, Wonderful World - By Sam Cooke, That'll Be the Day - By Buddy Holly and the Crickets, Rude Boy - By Rihanna, Say Aah [feat. Fabolous] - By Trey Songz, White Room - By Cream, Me and Bobby McGee - By Janis Joplin, Alice's Theme - By Danny Elfman, This Too Shall Pass - By Ok Go, Living for the City - By Stevie Wonder, He's a Rebel - By The Crystals, I'm Back - By T.I., All The Way Turnt Up - By Roscoe Dash, I Put a Spell on You - By Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Tutti-Frutti - By Little Richard. You can listen to these [url=http://e-music-downloads.com/]Free MP3 Music[/url] Online for free.