Friday, March 10, 2006

Pattern Typing ?!!

I noticed that my handwriting has deteriorated .....it has almost reduced to scribbles now ...no orientation, sometimes slanting in one direction and sometimes straight, small and haphazard ..... after all those childhood years of pattern writing and writing with fountain pens on ruled exercise books and then of course the three hour long history exams on white sheets where we would even hesitate to give our fingers a break lest we run out of time since our scores depended so much on the presentation! Filling ink in fountain pens the night before school, initially with the ink filler and then the cartridges and the discovery of microtipped pens which wrote with ink but did not leak!
Keyboards and keypads have taken over ..... now I endeavour to speed up my typing, do not carry a pen/paper, prefer to make a note in notepad, address books, calendars or to-do lists or the even better the post-it notes software on the desktop, have forgotten my spellings, read vernacular languages at the speed of a tortoise, submit assignments in pdf, make drawings on paint, play tic-tac-toe or do crosswords online and when I have to jot down my thoughts I blog.
Are fountain pens headed towards extinction?

1 comment:

Sinfully Pinstripe said...

Fountain pens ARE extinct.

The ones that you get to see are showpieces. Created to adorn the pocket of the jacket, not to smear some paper....